Ingredients for Mince Meat
- 180g raisins
- 50g golden raisins
- 375g currants
- 20g glace cherries chopped
- 100ml Cointreau
- zest of 1 lemon, juice of ½
- zest and juice of 1 orange
- 300g shredded suet
- 250g dark brown sugar
- 85g chopped mixed peel
- ½ small nutmeg, grated on microplane
- 1 large Bramley apple, peeled and grated
Ingredients for Sweet Pastry
- 250g Plain Flour
- 150g Butter
- 100g Caster sugar
- 1 Egg
Ingredients for Almond Crumble
- 200g plain flour
- 100g brown sugar
- 120g vegan flora
- 50g gluten free oats
- 25g ground almond
- 25g crushed flaked almond
Method for Mincemeat
Soak the dried fruit in the Cointreau and juice for 1 hr until plumped up, then drain and set the liquid aside. Mix all the ingredients together in the order given, then pour in the brandy when everything else is well mixed. Spoon and press into sterilised jars, to exclude any air (the easiest way to sterilise jars is to run them through a dishwasher on its hottest setting). Cover and leave for at least a fortnight. Will keep in the fridge for up to 6 months.
Method for Sweet Pastry
- Cream butter and sugar
- Add egg until well mixed
- Add flour and mix till dough is formed. Ball up the dough and wrap in cling film and place this in the fridge for 1hr.
- Flour surface and roll out, place loosely over the mould. Lift and press the dough into the muffin moulds.
- Pastry should be 2cm from the top of the mould.
- Prick the dough all over with a fork and place back in the fridge
- Line the tart with cling film and pour beans/rice in till full, press lightly to the edge of the tart filling all the gaps. Wrap the beans up in the cling film.
- Blind bake at 170 degrees (fan) for 8 minutes and check.
- Remove the cling film and egg wash the base to seal and then back in the oven for 1 minute to set the egg
- Fill with mince meat to just below the lip
- Generously cover with almond crumble.
- Bake again for 10-12 minutes until crumb is golden
- Allow to cool, before removing from the mould.
Method for Almond Crumble
- Mix the ingredients to a sticky, clumped mix.